We all hope it will never happen but do you know what you should do if you discover a fire in your workplace? Is your business prepared?
- First and foremost you must remember to stay calm. If you panic you cannot help yourself or others.
- Have a fire alert and evacuation plan! This is critical to know what to do as fast and as efficiently as possible in an emergency situation. These days, fire alarms and detection systems are automated to alert the fire services, however, a clear plan of action in the workplace is essential for the safety of your employees.
- Is your workplace ready if you do have a fire? Do you have fire exit signs that are illuminated, fire blankets to use in an emergency, working smoke alarms and fire extinguishers that are the right size and type for your workplace?
- Ensure that people or a person are responsible and accountable for managing the fire alert and evacuation plan in your workplace. This allows for clear direction and authority in an emergency situation.
- Determine quickly if the fire is small and able to be extinguished. If so do you have the right type of fire extinguisher to put out the type of fire you have discovered? Only consider this if the fire is small and easily able to be extinguished. Make sure that your designated employees know how to use a fire extinguisher. If they are not trained or confident to do so forget it. Don’t try and be a hero!
- Be sensible and call fire emergency services if the fire is not small, containable or you have any doubts about whether you have the right extinguishers or if they are in good working order. Don’t rely on your automated system to alert emergency services and trigger a response.
- Always err on the side of caution in a fire emergency situation. The best thing you can do for your employees is to heed fire safety processes and procedures and ensure you are compliant and trained before your workplace experiences a fire. This reduces the risk and will give your business and your employee’s peace of mind.
Originally posted 2017-06-02 10:07:31.
Please share and like us: